Canadian Voyageur Brigade Society
The Canadian Voyageur Brigade Society has evolved from the 2008 David Thompson Brigade. Through our society, planning and admin support materials, skills, and funds remaining from past brigades are available to support future brigades to ensure that voyageur brigades, and the skills and enjoyment of big canoe paddling will occur, and be passed onto the next generation of paddlers across Canada.
OUR GOALS ARE:
- Link BIG canoe paddlers with adventure, skills and paddling opportunities.
- Provide access to general plans, schedules, budgets, safety plans and similar documents from previous brigades which will ease the planning task for future brigade organizers.
- Archive documents and images from completed brigades.
- Support future brigades with seed funding, insurance and registration support where needed.
- Promote Water Stewardship and Cultural Cooperation across Canada through our brigades and the skills of paddling big canoes.
If you are interested in learning more or applying for support for a future brigade please drop a note to our Chair.
2018 and on!
2017 was a grand summer of big canoe paddling, celebrating the canoe, our culture and our waterways! Our six closely affiliated brigades and journeys, and the six more loosely associated brigades have all reported success! Nearly 600 paddlers registered with CVBS as participant members and nearly 1000 paddlers participated in these twelve brigades and journeys. As fall progresses, reports, photos, and videos are being linked to our original brigade front pages. Just use the brigade links above and if these reports, photos and videos have been posted they should appear at the top of each page. We are adding to these pages, and leaving all the planning materials available for future brigade organizers to access. Some brigades have also posted to the CVBS Facebook page, and others have their own social media sites.
So far for 2018 we have an August brigade being planned for the Timmins area by the Kirk Whipper Voyageur Centre. Check the Future Brigades link above.
We are prepared to support additional brigades. Let us know if you’d like to help… with a brigade… or with the brigade executive!