Canadian Voyageur Brigade Society
The Canadian Voyageur Brigade Society has evolved from the 2008 David Thompson Brigade. Through our society, planning and admin support materials, skills, and funds remaining from past brigades are available to support future brigades to ensure that voyageur brigades, and the skills and enjoyment of big canoe paddling will occur, and be passed onto the next generation of paddlers across Canada.
OUR GOALS ARE:
- Link BIG canoe paddlers with adventure, skills and paddling opportunities.
- Provide access to general plans, schedules, budgets, safety plans and similar documents from previous brigades which will ease the planning task for future brigade organizers.
- Archive documents and images from completed brigades.
- Support future brigades with seed funding, insurance and registration support where needed.
- Promote Water Stewardship and Cultural Cooperation across Canada through our brigades and the skills of paddling big canoes.
If you are interested in learning more or applying for support for a future brigade please drop a note to our Chair.
2018 and on!
Today is the summer solstice so time to update: We hear of various big canoe and brigade activities occurring about the country side. Seems after all of last year’s organizing folks are “kicking back” a bit and doing much, but with minimal organizing. Our Sault St. Marie folk are running public clinics, and have a crew heading up to the True North Brigade. In Hinton the Big Canoes have been out on the river and for some clinics. In Edmonton we are working with a local school district preparing teachers to teach big canoeing… and maybe brigading. Our Thursday evening big canoe paddling/training sessions are stretching our capabilities. Most recently I have been working with our PEI friends who are now offering a late July brigade on “the Island.”
Check the Future Brigades link for the link to the True North Brigade site, and the supporting & registrations pages for the PEI 2018 Brigade.
We are prepared to support additional brigades. Let us know if you’d like to help… with a brigade… or with the brigade executive! Now is the time to be thinking about 2019… get your field work done this summer, for next year. We can help!!