Canadian Voyageur Brigade Society (CVBS)
2018 Writing / Story Competition
This competition will provide participants in past Brigades the opportunity to tell their individual story on some aspect of our brigading. We are requesting short stories related to participation in Voyageur Canoe Brigades since the first Columbia Brigade in 2006 up to the series of Brigades held this past summer in 2017 celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday. Listed below are the general guidelines and information on this unique opportunity:
- The story is to written by individuals who have been part of at least one Brigade.
- Short story length to be between 1500 and 2000 words.
- Limit of one submission per person or persons.
- Topic categories, there is only 1- Brigading. Can cover anything and everything from organizing, team dynamics, funny situations, shuttling, community interaction, weather, impressions, friendships, trials and tribulations, anything that strikes to the essence of being a participant in a Brigade. The topic matter is endless. Ground crew non paddling members are eligible.
- Prize money $1000. Breakdown is as follows: $500 first place, $300 second place, $100 third place and four honorable mentions at $25 each.
- Notification of contest on web site and mailed to CVBS mail out list. Spring newsletter. ( May)
- Reasonable submission period – Stories to be submitted by September 30, 2018.
- Winners announced at the end of November depending on number of submissions.
- Writers are to allow CVBS the right to post all suitable submitted stories on the CVBS website, and for future CVBS publications.
- A future book with suitable submitted stories to be discussed and decided upon by CVBS executive and writing contest committee members.
- Initial committee members and judges- Rick Zroback, Diane Watson, Wayne Wilson.
- Entries to be submitted to Rick Zroback at email@example.com, 780 817 4623, by November 15, 2018.
- Decisions on winners will be final.
Voyageur Canoe Brigades 2006 – 2017
2006 Columbia Brigade
2007 Columbia Brigade
2008 David Thompson Brigade
2010 Montreal Brigade
2011 Columbia Brigade 2011 Athabasca River Voyageur Canoe Brigade
2012 Okanagan Brigade
2013 Rideau Brigade 2013 Fraser Brigade
2014 Gulf Islands Brigade
2015 Red Deer River Brigade
2016 Broughton Brigade
2017 Ft St. James to Prince George Brigade 2017 Sunshine Coast Canoe Journey
2017 Athabasca River Canoe Brigade 2017 Sault St. Marie Ontario Brigade
2017 Ft Edmonton Canoe Brigade 2017 South Wind Brigade
2017 West Wind Brigade 2017 North Wind Brigade
2017 East Wind Brigade 2017 St. John River Brigade
2017 PEI Brigade 2017 Lake Superior Canoe Brigade
2017 Canadian Canoe Pilgrimage